Friday, June 18, 2010

NEWS: Apology from Irishman who killed his girlfriend as he is jailed for 37 years

A Co Tyrone man, who conned his girlfriend out of thousands of dollars, before killing her, has apologized to his victim’s family as he was sentenced to up to 37 years in jail by a New York Court.

“I don’t ask forgiveness, because I don’t deserve any,” said Gary McGurk, 24, who pleaded guilty last month, to the manslaughter of 24 year old NYPD criminal investigator Michelle Lee.

Scam: Thousands of dollars

Police say he beat her four times in the head with a hammer at her home in Sunnyside Queens in April 2007, and then stabbed her in the neck.

He then tied her body with a mobile phone charger lead, and burned her chest with an iron.

McGurk had scammed thousands of dollars from her by pretending that he had cancer, and needed money to treat it, because he had no medical insurance.


In excerpts from Ms Lee’s private journal read to the sentencing hearing, she professed her love for him and concerns about his fictitious illness.

““He’s so brave. I can’t stop thinking. I can’t stop crying. I love him so much. I wish he would get better. I wish I could hold him forever,” she wrote.

In her final journal entry before she was killed, read to the court by Queens Assistant DA Charles Testagrossa, she wrote: “Dear Journal. My mind is rambling... I’m not ready to lose Gary. I’m trying to figure out the right time to tell him I love him. I truly do.”

“Knowing what you did makes my blood boil.”

Ms Lee’s sister Stephanie gave a victim impact statement to the hearing – and asked McGurk what his motives were.

“What was the reason behind your actions?” she asked, “Knowing what you did makes my blood boil.”

Mr McGurk, who is originally from the Carrickmore area of Co Tyrone, and holds dual Irish and American citizenship, asked Queens Supreme Court Justice Gregory Lasak for permission to address her family.

“I hope in the years to come God will help you through his,” he said, “Michelle is safe with him now.”

“I have very little I can say to make any of you feel better. I would love to be able to answer the question why and tell you what happened. I will meet my maker one day and I will receive my punishment that day, as I receive my punishment today.”

“I am sorry. I can only hope the years to come will be easier.”

"You know you deserve a life sentence"

Judge Lasak told McGurk that he would have sentenced him to life in prison had he not agreed to a manslaughter plea that spared the Lee family a trial.

“This makes no sense at all,” the judge said, “You know you deserve a life sentence, Mr McGurk. You know that.”

He sentenced McGurk to between 20 and 37 years in prison.

No comments:

Post a Comment